Thursday, June 21, 2012

Art of Photography Project: Lines [Horizontal and Vertical]

This is for Art of Photography, Project: Lines - vertical and horizontal
[note that I actually went to do this exercise in January, and am only doing the write-up now - when I procrastinate... I'll do it later]
The idea with this exercise was to take a picture of a line, so that it is the thing that jumps out of the photo.  As usual, I'm addicted to shallow depth of field.  I'm sure I'll move on some day, but for the time being, 2.8 is my number.

The creative process was as follows:
 - take camera along when meeting recruiters
 - don't take photos of anything downtown, where subject matter is abundant
 - feel bad
 - start taking pictures about 5 blocks before reaching home
 - see interesting things


Equipment and Settings
  • Canon 7D and Canon 17-55 EF-S
  • Aperture Priority, Auto-Exposure
  • F2.8
  • No flash
  • ISO 100
  • All photos taken January 24, 2012 between 3:30 and 4:30 p.m.
  • Post-processing in Adobe Lightroom 3.6


 

   
 


 

 

 

I recall being very frustrated when taking these photos.  When I looked for horizontals, I saw verticals.  When I looked for verticals, I saw horizontals.  I was intent on visual purity, where the line was absolute and unmistakable.  After reading on a bit further in the text, I came to see that it's not that cut and dried.  It's more about "across" than horizontal and "up and down" than vertical.  I got caught in semantics.  Unfortunately, this didn't sink in right away...

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Cool series David. I like the idea of having a detail shot and an overview shot. Well done.