Monday, June 20, 2011

First Ride: On-One 456 Carbon

If my last hardtail rode like this, I don't know that I would have switched back to a full-suspension bike.  No pics as yet [I haven't mastered the art of self-portraiture], but I can give my first impressions.



Handling
All of a sudden, I can do trackstands.  ZOMG.  The feeling of balance and control is wonderful.  Lofting the front end over rocks or roots is easily done.  Quick changes of direction are accomplished without fuss, although carving tight singletrack does take a bit more user input than on a classic 71/73 XC bike.

Stiffness
Stomp and go.  Point and shoot.  The frame is not a noodle by any stretch of the imagination.  As I'm rolling on 2.4" tires @ 20 psi, any claims of harshness or compliance are meaningless.

Clearance
The trails around here are wet right now, but I was able to churn through thick clay mud without having the back wheel pack up in the frame.  Also, BB clearance is excellent - not a single clipped pedal thus far.

Overall
I am chuffed.


Build
Smoothie Headset
2008 Fox TALAS 36 RC2
55mm Ragley Stubbing stem
On-One Riser bar
Clarks grips
Shimano SLX brakes, standard pads
Shimano 540 pedals
Black Spire cranks + BB
Truvativ 32T chainring
Selle Italia Flite saddle
Control Tech post
Ragley seat QR
XT 9spd rear shifter
SLX shadow rear der
Black Spire Stinger lower chain guide
XTR 9spd chain
Hope Pro II hubs
DT 5.1D rims
Ardent 2.4 - F
Conti Rubber Queen 2.4 - R
11-32 SLX cassette

No comments: