Monday, January 10, 2011

Bike Profile - Ventana El Terremoto
 I picked up the frame and fork for my wife in January 2010, and spent a couple of months occasionally building it up.  The wheels were rebuilt at that time, as I wanted the red Hope hubs for my Titus, and the gunmetal really did look better on this bike. 
The build:
  • Frame: Ventana El Terremoto, small, Superdust powdercoat
  • Fork: 2010 Fox TALAS 36 RC2
  • Wheels: Handbuilt [by me] DT Swiss 5.1D laced to gunmetal Hope Pro II hubs [rear bolt-on] with Wheelsmith DB spokes and brass nipples
  • Tires: Schwalbe Big Betty 2.4 in front, Fat Albert 2.4 in back
  • Drivetrain: Shimano LX crank/BB, bash guard [replacing big ring], Black Spire Stinger chain guide, Dura-Ace chain, XT cassette, SLX shadow mid-cage rear derailleur
  • Brakes: Shimano SLX, 180/160
  • Controls: LX shifters, some honking big DH stem, Truvativ WC Flat bar, Ergon grips [not pictured]
  • Other: Cane Creek S-3 headset, Gravity Dropper post [not pictured], DX pedals [not pictured], WTB Deva saddle [not pictured]

I asked Sam about the ride, and this is what she had to say:
Um, it's heavier... It climbs well... It's stable and I can choose my lines up and down the hill better...
That pretty much says it all.

I'm a little jealous of this bike.  The RP23 has Boost Valve and is newer and better than the one on my El Guapo, and the head angle is a wee bit slacker.  It also has Electric Sex Welds, which are very sexiful. Upcoming changes - not much.  A lighter stem perhaps, as the current one is pretty damn heavy.

No comments: